STEAM activities for the whole family!
Have fun and explore science, technology, engineering, arts, and math with these simple activities designed to support at-home learners of all ages. Great activities to add to your virtual curriculum too. Keep checking back for new activities added each month.
Make your own T-Shirt bag: A fun activity to promote "reuse and repurposing" behaviors and give old t-shirts new life as a reusable bag. Aired on April 7, 2020.
- Rewatch episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB85qL9T4Zw
- Scroll to bottom of page for downloadable instructions to make a t-shirt bag in English and Spanish
Create a Nature Print: An activity that blends art and science. Learn how to print natural objects to create unique pieces of art, all while learning about nature. Aired on April 14, 2020.
- Rewatch episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wOegky_ofQ
- Gyotaku (fish printing; Smithsonian): https://ocean.si.edu/conservation/get-involved/educational-uses-gyotaku-or-fish-printing
- Leaf printing (Scholatic): https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/lesson-plans/teaching-content/finger-paint-leaf-prints-activity-plan/
- Looking at Leaves (Project Learning Tree): https://www.plt.org/stem-strategies/looking-at-leaves/ and https://www.plt.org/family-activity/looking-at-leaves/
Conduct a Nature Interview: A fun language arts and science activity that encourages close observation of an object in nature and the creation of interview questions the object can "answer" without speaking. Aired on April 21, 2020.
- Rewatch episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJiOsXSBMA
- Interview an Organism activity outline (http://beetlesproject.org/all-student-activities/)
- Scroll to bottom of page for downloadable pdf of interview activity
Play Bird Bingo: An activity that uses observation and friendly competition to support learning in your own backyard or neighborhood park. Aired on May 5, 2020.
- Rewatch the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOQNpXdeys
- Scroll to bottom of page for downloadable pdf of Bird Bingo Card
- Birding in the Coastal Bend: https://www.audubonoutdoorclub.com/birding-overview
- Texas eBird: https://ebird.org/tx/home
Investigate a Skull: Generate "I Notice and I Wonder" statements during this activity that investigates a bird skull. Discover features that help the "mystery bird" survive in its estuary habitat. Aired on May 19, 2020.
- Rewatch the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0B23Uz4sKM
- "I Notice, I Wonder, It Reminds Me of..." activity outline (http://beetlesproject.org/all-student-activities/)
- Scroll down for a downloadable pdf of the Beetles activity
International Nature Journaling Week (June 1-7, 2020): Join this worldwide celebration of nature by staring up, or adding to, your own nature journal. Nature Journaling is a way to observe, study and document nature using your art, science, math, and literacy skills. Aired on June 2, 2020
- International Nature Journaling Week: https://www.naturejournalingweek.com/
- John Muir Law's "How to teach natural journaling" https://johnmuirlaws.com/product/how-to-teach-nature-journaling/
- Project Learning Tree Nature Journaling Ideas: https://www.plt.org/educator-tips/nature-journaling-ideas/
Listen to a Soundscape: Learn how scientists study sound and explore the various sounds found within your pwn home, backyard or neighboring park. Aired on June 16, 2020.
- Rewatch the episode:
- Discovery of Sounds in the Sea: https://dosits.org/
- Macaulay Library. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology: https://www.macaulaylibrary.org/
- Sounds Around Activity: https://www.plt.org/family-activity/sounds-around/